The General Search is as much a place to access information about items in the game as it is to configure the Toolbar. It has its own settings and bookmarks to make finding things as convenient as possible. Every item in the game displays a page of information related to that item. Icons on the information page can be double-clicked () to show information about the item represented by the icon. This can be very useful for finding the resources needed to craft components.
The in-game description: "Blocks and items can be dragged to the toolbar. This includes all large blocks and any small blocks or items that are in the character's inventory. See block and item tooltips for additional controls."
The first option, "Only Show Available", hides locked items. This reduces the items shown to only those that are unlocked and available to use. This can make finding them easier but it also makes learning how to unlock specific items a little more difficult. Enabling this option is recommended for more experienced players or players who are confused by locked items.The second option, "Show Advanced Tooltips", shows additional information at the bottom of item tooltips. This information can be useful when using search prefixes or for modders who want to see the ID's of items.
Adding and Removing Items
Drag and drop () is the most intuitive. Although it is not the fastest method it works in all cases. Players simply interact with the Toolbar, General Search, and inventory by using the mouse to drag icons to the toolbar and drop them onto a slot. Items can be rearranged on the toolbar using the same technique.
Double-clicking () on items will also add them to the toolbar. This interaction is a little less intuitive as the items are added to the first free slot on the current toolbar. If no free slot is available, the first selected slot is used. If no slot is selected then slot 1 is used. This method is inconsistent in inventories, where double-clicking results in an attempt to transfer the inventory item to another inventory.
The final option is right-clicking () on items to add them to the toolbar. This is the fastest method but is subject to a different caveat in its behavior. Right-clicking a consumable item will result in an attempt to consume or activate it rather than adding it to the toolbar. However, inventory items can be added by right-clicking, unlike double-clicking. Right-clicking adds items in the same order that double-clicking does.Items can be removed from the toolbar by double-clicking or right-clicking. These both have the same behavior, giving right-clicking the speed advantage.
Equipping and Consuming
Equipping Multiple Items
How to Search
- Single String: %
- Unlike Split String, this prefix uses the whole search term to find the matching definitions. This means that in order to be a valid match, the name must include the whole search term.
- Category: $
- This uses the categories mentioned earlier. Searching by the name of a category like "Stairs" will return all of the items in that category as results. There isn't currently a way to see categories in in-game but they are located in sbc files in
/MedievalEngineers/Content/Data/Search/Categories. Like most things in Medieval Engineers search categories are moddable.
- Tag: #
- Tag prefix allows you to search for items based on their Tags.
- Block: =
- As the name already suggests, this prefix can only be used to search for blocks. It tries to match the search term against small or large. If neither of the sizes is specified, all blocks are considered valid.
- ObjectBuilderType: ~
- This is a very straightforward, and mostly technical search prefix. If checks the definition type to see if it includes the search term. This search is used almost exclusively by modders.
- Mod: @
- The mod prefix is currently the only search prefix that does not provide any meaningful results without mods. Once there are mods present, it will check the name of the mod where the definition comes from, to see whether or not it includes the search term.
- Usage: !
- The usage of this prefix is the most complex search prefix, simply due to returning a large number of items that might not seem connected at first glance. First, this prefix matches items that include the search term in their name. Then it returns all items and blocks that are built or crafted from the items that match the prefix. A prime example might be a search for "!Timber" which would return every item that can be crafted from timbers.
The in-game desciption: "Not all blocks and items are available in every game mode. In survival mode, many blocks and items are unknown to the character until they have been learned through research.Search limitations can be disabled in the settings tab to the right by unchecking "Only Show Available". Doing this is a good way to learn about blocks and items that are not yet known by the character."
The in-game description: "Search bookmarks are on the left side of the screen and they can be customized. Create a new bookmark by searching for what you want and then clicking the + below the last bookmark. Give it a name and click OK.
Shift+Click on bookmarks to delete them.
Restore the default bookmarks by clicking the ? button, clicking the settings tab on the right side of the screen, and clicking the "Restore Bookmarks" button."Bookmarks are stored inside the world save folder. If you join a multiplayer game, a save folder will be created just for the bookmarks. This means you can overwrite your bookmarks in one save with the bookmarks from another just by copying a file.