Keen:Troubleshooting/Game Won't Start
|OFFICIAL CONTENT NOTICE|
OFFICIAL CONTENTThis article contains official content from or verified by the developers at Keen Software House. This information is intended to be accurate at the time it is posted, but may become obsolete over time. If you find errors in this article please describe the errors in the Discussion Page.
BLACK SCREEN ON GAME LAUNCH
- When the game launches, all you see is a black screen and the game does not appear to launch.
- The primary cause for this issue is a bug in the Intel Graphics Drivers. In case you are playing on a laptop with Windows 10 installed, that has a dedicated NVidia GPU as well as integrated graphics, you may experience this problem. The fastest way for you to resolve this issue is to update your Intel Graphics Drivers from http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers.html and that usually resolves the problem.
VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE
This checks that you have all the game files correctly installed in your computer and fixes them if not.
To verify the integrity of your game’s cache
- Go to your game library on steam
- Right click on Medieval Engineers
- Select properties
- Select local files tab
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache
- Wait until the cache is verified
UNSUPPORTED GPU / DirectX 11
- When you are unable to launch the game and the error message that you get suggests it is a video / graphics / DirectX problem. This is the most reported issue so far and we are working on possible fixes. Please first make sure that your graphic card is within the minimum system requirements.
- If you meet the minimum specs in ALL area’s then please ensure that Graphics card drivers are up to date from http://www.nvidia.com or https://support.amd.com/en-us/download as well as Windows updates are fully installed for your operating system. For Windows 7 specifically, this includes the service pack and platform updates.
- Reinstall/update your DirectX to the latest version: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113
- When your GPU supports DirectX 11, but the game crashes/refuses to launch. This is usually caused by having two graphics cards in one PC.
- Read more information about this problem.
- Set the game to use one graphics card over another.
REINSTALL MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK
- Sometimes Medieval Engineers crashes before the game starts. The most common reason is wrong/damaged Microsoft .NET installation. In this case the log file contains “System.Web.Extensions”.
- Uninstall all .NET frameworks from your computer by entering Control Panel – Uninstall a program and removing all versions of .NET Framework
- Then install the newest .NET again.
- If it didn’t help, you may try a more advanced method.
- This method will fix broken .NET configuration.
MULTIPLE GPUs – DISABLE SLI / CROSSFIRE
At this point, Medieval Engineers doesn’t support multiple GPUs. So if you start the game with them, you may encounter crashes, graphical artifacts or even problems running the game. You need to disable this function in order to make the game work properly.
HOW TO DISABLE:
- For Crossfire
- right-click on your desktop and select Catalyst Control Center. Click Graphics -> CrossfireX -> uncheck Enable Crossfire. Then click ok.
- For SLI
- right-click on your desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel. Expand 3D Settings tab -> click on Set SLI Configuration -> select Do Not Use SLI Technology. Apply changes.
- TeamSpeak 3 overlay issue – The game does not start and an error appears which says “the game is already launched”.
- This issue is mostly caused by the TeamSpeak 3 overlay. In order to fix this, turn the overlay plugin off.
- The game crashes after you click “Play” and you get a message saying “Space Engineers has stopped working” – LogMeIn issue
- We have noticed that LogMeIn sometimes can cause the GPU driver to crash which prevents the game from starting. In order to fix this you will have to disable LogMeIn.
- Disk read error when starting game.
- Just restart your computer and it will be solved.
- Your logfile says: ‘HavokWrapper.dll’ access denied
- This is usually a file permission issue: start Steam as Administrator or change file permissions manually.
Or antivirus issue: add an exception for MedievalEngineers.exe and/or HavokWrapper.dll If you are concerned about security check HavokWrapper.dll digital signature in file properties (make sure you click “Details” on digital signature tab).
It has been reported by players that some anti-virus software (most common is AVAST) are blocking the game and prevent it from starting. This happens because the game’s code is encrypted which is why the anti-virus software are flagging it as a virus. This is false positive and the solution is to add the file to exceptions or mark it as a save file.
3rd PARTY PROGRAMS & APPS
It has been reported that some 3rd party programs can prevent the game from starting. In this case, you will have to disable these programs in order to run the game. Below is the list of the 3rd party programs that have been reported so far.
- AMD Raptr
- Lucid Virtu MVP
- Carbonite Backup